What kind of checks are included?
The type of safety checks we carry out – which depends on your home and where you live – include:
- Gas safety – an annual service and an extra check every time a property is re-let
- Fire safety – regular risk assessments and repair work required as a result of these assessments
- Water safety – risk assessments are done once and then monitored as necessary depending on the results of the assessment
- Asbestos checks – only on sites built before 2000, and in the form of either a survey and/or annual check of anywhere there is low risk encapsulated asbestos. (Encapsulated asbestos is low risk because it’s unlikely to release a high level of fibres).
- Electrical testing – testing of all electrical circuits every 5 years and each time a property is re-let
- Passenger lift safety – a check every 6 months by the insurers and an annual service by the contractors
- Domestic lift safety – a check every 6 months by the insurers and an annual service by the contractors
The checks above may not all apply to your home but where they do it’s important that they are carried out in line with these timeframes to make sure your home is as safe as possible.
How can I find out which checks apply to my home?
If you contact the Contact Centre, they’ll be able to assist you.
How can I request a safety check?
There’s no need to request a safety check for any communal areas as estate inspections take place every quarter which are automatically scheduled. If you have anything that you would like to raise, please speak to your Neighbourhood Officer in the first instance.
What do I need to do?
During the lockdown it has been more challenging than ever for us to make sure these safety checks are carried out in a timely manner. With certain restrictions now easing, we are working in collaboration with all our contractors, external agencies and you, our customers, to carry out scheduled checks and bring any overdue checks up to date.
You can support us to keep your home safe by providing our contractors with access to your home at the agreed time. If you think you have coronavirus symptoms, please let us know as soon as you can using our website form so we can reschedule your appointment if necessary.
Will I feel safe?
Our contactors will be fully equipped with all the necessary personal protective equipment (PPE) and will follow social distancing guidelines. They will also carry identification cards which you can check when they attend.
Find out more information about how we’re completing our repairs safely.