Cost of living: struggling with water and broadband tariffs? Here's the support available

Your home

Did you know that if you’re claiming benefits that you could be getting a reduced social tariff for your water and broadband bills? Here’s what we know that could help you

Person putting money in a piggy bank

What’s available to help with your water bill?


Social tariff scheme

All water companies offer a social tariff scheme, for customers on a low income or if you receive certain benefits. The amount of support that is available and the eligibility for claiming this scheme can be different depending on your water company.

To find out if you are eligible, please contact your water provider.


WaterSure scheme

WaterSure is a scheme that can help to reduce your bills if you’re on a water meter. To be eligible you or a household member will need to be meet certain criteria.

Please contact your water company to see if you meet its requirements.

There’s also more information on the Citizen’s Advice website.


What else can help


Priority Register

The Priority Services Register is a free support service that can provide extra help for people in vulnerable situations.

Being on the priority register can give you extra support such as a point of contact in an emergency, a dedicated phone number, an easier to read bill, and an amount of bottled water if the supply goes off.

To find out more, please contact your water provider.


Help with your Broadband bill

Broadband has now become an essential part of everyday life for many of us. If you are struggling to pay for this service, there may be help available.

Some broadband providers offer social tariff deals. These are discounted and can offer a low-cost plan for customers on certain benefits.

Social tariff contracts are normally on shorter term contracts with no early exit fees.


Who is eligible for Social Tariff Broadband?

If you receive Universal Credit, Pension Credit, or certain other means tested benefits, you may qualify for Social Tariff. Each broadband provider has its own criteria.

When you apply you’ll need to supply your details and National Insurance number and the provider will run a quick eligibility check.

To get a full list of providers offering a social tariff, you can visit Ofcom’s page on social tariffs.


Struggling to pay your rent and service charge at the moment?

We know a lot of our customers are struggling at the moment and we’re here to help. If you’re worried about paying your rent or your bills then get in touch with us or fill out our online contact form and we’ll be in touch.