Getting a move on

Your home

There are lots of reasons why you might want or need to move house.

Getting a move on - 3

The next edition of Home magazine will be landing on doormats and in inboxes over the next couple of weeks. Here’s a sneak peek at one of the articles from our Spring 2020 issue...

There are lots of reasons why you might want or need to move house. Whether you need more room or you’re downsizing, you want to be closer to family or further away from work, or you just want a change of scenery, there’s a range of ways to find a new lease and a new lease of life.

We’ve had a look at a few of them for you.

Your local authority

You can contact a local authority if you want to be added to their housing register and possibly move into their area.

There’s no guarantee that they’ll accept your application as each local authority has different criteria.

Some local authorities also use a choice-based lettings scheme (CBL) to allocate properties.

Choice-based lettings schemes

Choice-based letting schemes (CBL) allow you to bid for council and housing association properties if you are on the housing waiting list.

You can use a CBL to find a new home, whether or not it is an A2Dominion property.


We have a partnership with Homehunt, a nation-wide CBL, designed to give more people greater access to affordable rented properties. You can apply for any home you are eligible for on Homehunt, no matter who the provider is.

Seaside & Country Homes

The Seaside & Country homes scheme is specifically for people looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. 

At least one member of your household needs to be 55 or older, while anyone under 55 will need to be a partner, joint tenant or registered carer.

Housing Moves

Housing Moves is the Mayor of London’s housing mobility scheme, and allows people to move outside their current London borough or housing provider.


Locata is a CBL for people wanting to move into or around Hillingdon, Harrow, Brent and Ealing.


Like Locata, Searchmoves is for people looking for a home specifically in Spelthorne or Elmbridge.


Homeswapper is a free website where you can exchange properties with tenants from other housing providers or local authorities.

There are also incentives available if you’re moving to a smaller home.

So you’re moving out...

You may have some items in your tenancy agreement specifically for your property, but if you’re moving out of your home you will need to:

  • Give us one calendar month’s notice that you’re leaving
  • Arrange a visit from our maintenance team to check the property. You’ll need to make any repairs you’re responsible for before you leave
  • Tell your service providers, such as gas, water and internet, that you’re moving and take any readings they request
  • Remove your furniture, possessions and rubbish, and clean the property
  • Make sure your rent and service charges are all paid
  • Return any keys, fobs, permits and payment cards to us. We’ll let you know where to leave your keys when we confirm your leaving date. 

For more information about moving house, CBL, shared ownership, or anything else to do with your tenancy visit

Read the latest news from A2Dominion in Home magazine