The green strategy contributes to the delivery of our vision by providing a framework to ensure environmental sustainability of the organisation and its housing provision, thereby improving value for money and quality of life for residents.
We are focused on making improvements in five environmental areas:
- Green governance and culture – the adoption and promotion of environmentally conscious practices.
- Reduced CO2 emissions – understanding our carbon emissions and where these can be cut.
- Affordable warmth – reducing residents’ exposure to extreme fluctuations in fuel prices.
- Sustainable approach to waste, water and purchasing - minimising water use in homes and offices, reducing consumption, reusing and recycling where possible.
- Sustainable land use, enhanced biodiversity and adapting to climate change – mitigating against the detrimental effects the built environment has on nature.
A Green Strategy Group is responsible for the implementation of improvements, and is supported by a network of 'champions' to coordinate environmental actions and drive cultural change.
A2Dominion's green strategy and related activities are assessed biennially by Sustainable Homes as part of the Sustainable Homes Index For Tomorrow (SHIFT), an industry specific environmental rating system for housing providers. The SHIFT index covers: governance and culture, offices and business operations, existing stock, and new builds. In 2012 A2Dominion achieved the Silver award.
Read our strategy below to find out some of the things we have been doing.